I waited until a little after 3 pm and gave in and called my parents. I talked first with my dad who said that my mom knew more about the medical jargon than he did, her having been a nurse. The news isn't good. His valve in his heart is leaking. He shows no signs of this problem because since his quadrupule bi pass surgery at least 20 years ago. They did an echo cardiogram on his heart. So he has a decision to make. Surgery again to repair/or get a new valve. My mom told us that he doesn't want to go through the whole break the sternum, etc surgery. They plan to do another echo cariogram on June 13th to see if there is any more damage/issues going on. Then he will have to make a final decision. It was a sad call and conversation to deal with. My mom sounded very flat. My husband said that she probably went into her professional medical mode to help herself deal with this. My sister also went with them to this appointment because she wasn't working that day. After hanging up from the call, my husband and I sat down and discussed all of this. He put it that since the valve is leaking every time the heart pumps, that the possibility of my dad having an arota aneurism is very great. My mom said that she would call 911 if she found my dad laying somewhere and then he would be taken to Abbott NorthWestern. My husband said that if he would have an arota aneurism that he would more than likely die. His dad had an aneurism from complications due to surgery. So basically, my dad doesn't have a lot of options, and knowing that he doesn't want to go through surgery again and recovery right now. He is in his 80's. My mom will be the "watcher," now. She has had to be that for years. One doesn't know what will happen,or when it will happen. So my husband and I sat down and talked about what we will do, if and when anything happens. I called my old work friend, who took Sadie into her house while I almost died from c-diff and those complications. I asked her if she would take Sadie and Malcolm if the need arises, and my dad died. She said without hesitation that she would. My dogs haven't ever been to a kennel. Malcolm is a little nervous nellie and wouldn't do well in a kennel with other dogs. So it is a relief to know that she and her husband will help. It doesn't matter what time or when. My husband and I would take two cars, because my husband would go up to GB to get our son, go to GR and the funeral. Take our son back home and go and pick up the dogs. I would have to just be ok with him having to work and the doggies being in their kennels. I figure that I would stay as long as needed with my mom. I would have to deal with always being sure that I have enough meds if we get a call. Sometimes I let me thyroid meds go as having less than a week of them, even though a get a notice saying I can refill my prescription. So we will go on as before, just with the idea that there may be that call at anytime of day or night. We will continue to live our lives. I know that my dad does, he has done this by taking care of himself and living. They got back from the cities on Friday, and they went to the YMCA on Saturday morning. My mom said that the roads were that slickery crap. My mom granted, sounds depressed and angry, it came through in her words about the roads and having more snow there. The ebb and flow of life continues on for all.
I needed to write this all down. It makes it all the more real. I haven't talked with our son about all of this, but I will. I figure when he calls, I will, then he will be prepared for the possibility that he will have to go. He needs to go to my dad's funeral out of respect. Remember me writing for years how my son is fearful and nervous around my dad. My dad is my dad, and having grown up with him, that is just how he is.
Today, will be a dry day, so I will get outside and do some sweeping. All the ice is now off the sidewalk. The most of next week is rain, and we will be watching the rise of the channel, lake, and all. All in all, life moves along and us with it.